Could Circumcision Resolve Your Condition?
Circumcision is often done at birth. But some uncircumcised men have a reason to be circumcised as an adult.
What is Adult Circumcision?
Adult circumcision is a surgical procedure involving the removal of the adult male foreskin. There are various reasons to undergo an adult circumcision including the following:
- Cosmetic purposes
- Pain with erections
- Balanitis: inflammation of the foreskin
- Phimosis: Difficulty in retraction of the foreskin over the head of the penis, resulting in painful erections or difficulty urinating
- Penile cancer or pre-malignant lesions
How do you know if Adult Circumcision is right for you?
What to know before your visit to MidLantic Urology in Philadelphia and surrounding counties:
- During your visit, your doctor will ask you questions regarding your medical history and will perform an exam with focused attention to the groin and genitalia
Tests that may be performed during or after your visit:
- Urinalysis: this evaluates for any blood in the urine or infection
- Post-void residual: The physician will often ask you to void and then check to make sure you are emptying your bladder.
How do you treat Adult Circumcision?
- Behavioral changes: For certain conditions, simply retracting the foreskin and cleaning with gentle soap and warm water can work. Make sure to return your foreskin to its normal position afterward.
- Topical creams: Steroid or antifungal creams may be used prior to surgery for certain inflammatory/infectious conditions.
- Circumcision: The surgical removal of the foreskin of the penis.